Login or Create an Account
If this is your first time using the American Association of Anatomists Awards and Proposal submission site you will need to complete the registration process the first time you apply for an award, submit an abstract or sesssion proposal, or apply for a committee.
ASP Mentor 2021-2022
Create a New Account
The Anatomy Scholars Program is designed to support and increase retention of individuals from under-represented minority (URM) groups in STEM fields in academia. Participants in the two-year program will take part in a curriculum addressing the tenets of faculty life, formal mentoring (from AAA members, and local mentors) and informal peer networking, as well as an annual retreat and the AAA annual meeting.
The AAA is seeking applications from AAA members interested in acting as voluntary, formal ASP mentors to accepted scholars. Scholars will be early-career AAA members, identifying as URM in STEM, who are transitioning into their first independent position as a faculty member in an anatomy-related field. ASP Mentors need not identify as URM, but must be committed to supporting progression of URM scholars in anatomy and STEM. In addition to having an AAA-associated ASP Mentor, Scholars will identify and have a ‘Local Mentor’ from their university (or a nearby university, if appropriate), to provide mentorship with institution-specific details of faculty life.
Expectations (with the support / training from the AAA ASP program):
- 2-year commitment of formal, longitudinal mentoring for an ASP Scholar
- Complete a short Mentor Training Program, upon acceptance and prior to the start of the program (and Mentor-Scholar matching), and sign confidentiality/communication agreement
- Meet 1:1 with Scholar mentee at least once every 3-4 months via videoconference, or in person if practical, and provide regular written feedback to Scholar related to: Scholar reflections on ASP program and faculty transition, Scholarly materials (curriculum vitae, educator portfolios, grants, publication guidance, peer-review process guidance, etc.)
- Participate in small group Scholar meetings (approximately once every 6 months), where multiple Scholars and ASP Mentors will meet virtually or in-person to foster community
- If attending AAA Annual Meeting, attend portion of ASP Annual Retreat, to meet Scholars and fellow ASP Mentors
- AAA member
- Demonstrated experience in mentorship, particulary faculty in academe
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion